What is the most used room in a home? If you said kitchen, then you are absolutely right! Therefore, it makes sense why so many homeowners are wanting to partake in a kitchen renovation. Many people are opting to add in a kitchen island to their kitchen, not only for functionality but also for style. However, there are many things to consider before putting in your kitchen island, and it is essential to properly plan if it will fit with your kitchen layout. Even though a kitchen remodel can be one of the most overwhelming projects to partake in, it can also be one of the most rewarding. Instead of getting stressed out, we have created a list of things to consider beforehand in order to create the kitchen of your dreams.
Can Your Kitchen Accommodate the Island Size You Want?
The first thing you need to consider when deciding to install a kitchen island is whether you have enough room for one. It is important to contact a professional during this phase, as they will be able to take measurements of your kitchen and inform you if you have enough room for a kitchen island. It is important to think about how big you want the island to be, and then whether your kitchen can accommodate it. The most common amount of room from existing cabinets to the new island would ideally be three feet of space, in order for people to have enough room to comfortably walk.
Best of Both Worlds – Style and Functionality
Homeowners are definitely able to achieve the best of both worlds – to add both style and functionality. However, it is crucial to consider a main goal for the island. This means do you need extra storage space? Do you need more counter space for cooking? There are a couple of factors that we have listed below that you should take into consideration when deciding on your island.
- Under-counter seating: This is ideal if you need a space in your kitchen for entertaining, or if you have a large family and need an extra seating area. For seating you need at least one foot of knee space under the countertop. You can achieve this by obtaining shallower cabinets that will create the extra space needed.
- Kitchen-prep features: If your kitchen is lacking space then you can add basic features to your island. This can include a sink, in-cabinet garbage, and many more. Therefore, the island acts as not only an accent piece, but also as a fully-functioning area.
- Custom design elements: If you have a larger budget for your kitchen remodel, then you are able to customize the island more. If you have a unique kitchen layout, then you are able to create your island to accommodate this.
- Material choice: With a new kitchen island you are able to decide on the countertop, colours, fixtures, and cabinet material. This way you are able to ensure you achieve the kitchen of your dreams!
- Cabinet size: Another thing for you to consider is how big you want the cabinets in the island to be. This means if you want customized heights, reduced-depth cabinets, and so on.
Kitchen islands are always a nice addition to your home. If you have read the tips above and are ready to create the kitchen of your dreams, then let us do the work for you! Please contact Joseph Kitchen today at (905) 707-7756 to let us help you with your kitchen remodel.